Friday, August 12, 2011

Art

Before we get started I need to make it clear that I'm no art connoisseur.  I'm not even an aficionado in the broadest sense, an appreciation for fine art having eluded me over the years along with fluency in foreign languages, a taste for caviar and any proficiency at golf.  But I do know when something pleases my eye and stirs emotion, so I can at least claim recognition of the purpose of art.

A number of years ago I picked up a book solely for the subject matter only to be struck with a sense of allure by the cover.  The illustration was so subtle, so quiet in a whisperlike way that it begged me to lean in and look closely.  It took some time but eventually I did some digging and reading and then studying and by degrees began an appreciation for one of America's great landscape artists.

image courtesy of Chatham Fine Art




The book is Making Game: An Essay on Woodcock and the cover artist is Russell Chatham. A native of northern California and an artist since somewhere around age 6, Mr. Chatham has produced oils, acrylics, lithographs and etchings mostly depicting parcels of life in the west.  His talents extend beyond the art world as well; he's an outdoorsman who at one time held a line class record for striper, he's a respected author (if you can find a copy of Dark Waters, read it) - early issues of Gray's Sporting Journal are peppered with his work, and he's owned a publishing company.  A fascinating, multi-dimensional life that many of us would envy.

In 1972, Chatham moved from California to Livingston, MT.  I'm not sure if this was prompted by something other than the spectacular scenery and the civilized isolation, as if a person would need another reason, but here he settled, spread roots, and eventually opened a gallery.  On our trip last month a stop at his gallery was on my short list, and while I timed the fishing wrong, I timed the gallery visit just right.

Gala exhibits and openings might be the thing for the more educated of the art world, but I much prefer a quiet, uncrowded opportunity to view an artist's work, a chance to focus without distractions tugging at the senses.  Fortunately two of my most accomplished distractions, ages 6 and 3, were sound asleep in the back seat when we arrived in Livingston.  Opportunities are only as much as you make of them, the sweet spot between apathy and overindulgence ceding the fullest reward.  I settled in.

image courtesy of Chatham Fine Art

Mr. Chatham's work captures the openness of the west along with the relationship between seasons and weather and the beings that call it home.  Better than any I've ever seen his work bears the odd irony of the warmth of a cold winter day.  A single piece might tell a complete story or spark a solitary memory, or just as easily spur the imagination to wander.

image courtesy of Chatham Fine Art
Certain pieces like the one to the left remind me vividly of hunting my home coverts.  To a student of art it may come as no surprise that the image of a single bird could trigger hundreds of images of leafless trees, pale cane breaks, muddy dogs, worn boots and such.  To me it's astounding and beyond my ability to explain.  These seemingly simple works ripple all of the pleasant thoughts and savory hours with a dog and a gun and a late winter sun in the woods.  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes more when words just can't do the scene justice.  This, to me, is art.

Sadly, August 13th is the last day for the gallery.  Mr. Chatham is 71 years old and plans to scale back a bit, continuing to paint but most likely discontinuing the time-consuming lithography process, and I can't say I blame him.  When I'm his age, I hope I'll have the good sense to pare my activities to only those that I enjoy most.

image courtesy of Chatham Fine Art


5 comments:

  1. There was an article in the SF Chronicle some months ago about Chatham getting whacked in the real estate collapse and moving back to San Francisco in order to paint and make a few bucks.

    It didn't sound as if he was exactly destitute, but it didn't sound all that good either...

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/14/DDFE1JB08U.DTL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link TC. The tentacles of the real estate collapse reach into places we'd never imagine and in some of those we're all worse off for it. The banks may take the land, the money, even the inventory from the gallery but, fortunately, they can't foreclose on his talent.

    I gave my brother a hard time about scheduling his wedding for July instead of during bird season, selfish sibling that I am. Had he set it for even a month later I never would have seen this piece of my personal holy land. I can always find a way to get back to Montana during a bird season or when the Missouri isn't flowing 10,000 cfs.

    Hope the hip's feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark Waters contains my favorite "hook and bullet" short story, The Great Duck Misunderstanding which was controversial when it appeared in Field and Stream. I am sorry to hear that he has fallen on bad times. I have enjoyed his books for years; it was years after my first exposure to his writing that I became aware of his artistic acclaim. I noted in the SF Chronicle article above that he was bartering painting for studio space. In the Great Duck Misunderstanding, he bartered a painting for a Pigeon grade Model 12. His has come full circle, moving back to his origins. Can't help but think he will be okay. Gil

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Opportunities are only as much as you make of them, the sweet spot between apathy and overindulgence ceding the fullest reward. I settled in." And I settled into this post...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Gil, The Great Duck Misunderstanding is a classic. I'm looking forward to Tide, Wind and Fog. Erin I know you'd enjoy his writing if you're not a fan already.

    ReplyDelete