Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Urban Hunter

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

from the Fresno Bee:

          Tuesday, Mar. 19, 2013 | 08:07 AM
An urban hunter was detained by police early Tuesday in central Fresno after alarmed residents reported a man was firing a shotgun.
Officers arrived at an alley near Van Ness and Mildreda avenues shortly after 7 a.m. and found a man armed with a pellet gun. The man said he was hunting doves.
Dove season doesn't begin until Sept. 1. And while dove hunting is allowed in some areas of Fresno County bordering city limits, the city of Fresno is excluded from areas where hunting is allowed.

Here's the link to the story, complete with photo and a string of educated comments...



3 comments:

  1. yeesh. its march. about half a year 'til hunting season starts again. I know Im almost one wing shooting related youtube clip away from grabbing up a pellet gun to pick off the next collard dove that comes to my bird feeder. I know my dogs would be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me wants to believe this guy just couldn't come to grips with the fact that hunting season was over, maybe he just watched that YouTube clip you mention. Part of me knows this guy has never bought a hunting license in his life. Still another part of me mourns the fact that the neighbors don't know the difference between a pellet gun and a shotgun.

      Delete
  2. I have one foot in the airgun world, and I see a lot of people talking about hunting with the things, often without a lot of recognition that some species are protected, or that hunting season even exists.

    Friends in were shooting the hell out of a couple protected bird species because the birds were getting in the garden until I pointed out at least two of the species were protected...

    ReplyDelete